Monday, February 9, 2015

Self Image in Today's Society

Unless you're hiding under a rock or have no social life, you're well aware of today's society and how it's impacting our youth. Nothing upsets me more than seeing a beautiful, natural twelve-year-old girl feel as if she has to wear a full face of makeup to feel beautiful. Growing up, at age twelve, the thought of makeup never even crossed my mind. Instead, I was a "brace face," wore a slick back ponytail, a tshirt every day, capri pants, and new balance tennis shoes with shoe strings to match my shirt each day. Did I look dorky? Sure! Was I happy? Absolutely!


It wouldn't be fair if I didn't show you a picture.. right? Here I was in junior high, brace face, no makeup, slick back ponytail, and not a worry in the world!

In today's society, popularity seems to be based off of how many "likes" you get on your Instagram picture, or how many retweets you can get on Twitter. I would be a hypocrite if I tried to say that I don't enjoy social media or pay any attention to how many "likes" I get, because I certainly do. However, I do not take it to the extreme. Many times, I have heard people talk about how they delete pictures because they don't get a certain amount of "likes." Social media is fun, and I post PLENTY of pictures myself, but I never once consider popularity based off of how many "likes" I get.

Before you can get the "likes," you have to post your picture. Here's a whole new subject! I have watched people edit a picture for a good ten minutes, staring at it and correcting every single blemish, whitening teeth, slimming their face, and enhancing specific features. Again, while I can't say I don't edit my pictures, or have never used an app to help "enhance" my beauty, I can say that it's not my top priority, and if you search my social media sites, you will find PLENTY of pictures of me without a drop of makeup, still happy as can be!

Today's challenge for young ladies is completely different than it was when I was growing up, and it truly breaks my heart! Back in the awkward stage (pictured above), instead of competing with my friends to see who could get the most "likes," I was in the band room competing to see who could get first chair (YES, I played the trombone in the 5th and 6th grade band)!! 

If you're reading this and are currently struggling with your confidence and are having a hard time adjusting to the perceptions of today's society, just KNOW how much more beautiful you are than an Instagram filter makes you look, and how much more important you are than the number of "likes" you get on your selfies.

Sure, you might have the prettiest hair, prettiest smile, and best wardrobe, but what matters most is that you have the prettiest heart. Instead of worrying so much about how you look on the outside, think about how much more pleasant life would be if everyone was more concerned about their inner beauty. GIRLS - if you wake up late for school, throw your hair in a bun, brush your teeth, and go make the best of your day! Don't be late for school and miss an entire class just because you're afraid to go in public looking "natural."


I want to challenge each and every one of you. Go just one day without straightening every strand of hair and putting on makeup to hide every flaw. Go in public confidently, and don't apologize and comment that you "look so bad!" Embrace your inner beauty, and always remember that true beauty comes from within!


No comments:

Post a Comment